I am writing to you on behalf of the Steering Committee of Green Left. We are very concerned about the allegations of ‘Islamophobia’ being thrown at us by Barry Kade and the fact that you have now given him a full thread to develop this further – this despite a request from Duncan Chapple of Socialist Resistance to stop attacking us. This is causing great offence to members of Green Left, many of whom have been battling hard against Islamophobia and in the anti-war movement. I myself am the Green Party’s delegate to Stop the War Coalition. Furthermore, many of us have worked hard to support the anti-war and anti-Fascism movements both inside and outside the Green Party. We have also played a central part in the effort to get an agreement in Birmingham re Salma and have suffered some attack from others in the party as a result.
To then be attacked on your website is doubly insulting. I cannot help but think that at a time when we are trying to work closely with Socialist Resistance and others in Respect, that this is a deliberate attempt to drive a wedge between us. Let me be clear about this, Green Left would like to focus on Left unity. We have no intention of diminishing in any way our criticisms of homophobia for the sake of some on the Left who regard LGBT rights as dispensible. We believe that all rights – and that includes those of Muslims – are bound together. The postings referred to were not in any way Islamophobic and merely raised some question s about the policy of the Respect Central Committee at the time. I do not think it appropriate here but we have not launched any criticisms or attacks on some in Respect on our website and have tried to build a progressive alliance. I consider your efforts and those of Barry Kade to be detrimental to this. I would hope that Barry Kade would issue a retraction of some of his allegations re Green Left and you would desist from publishing such attacks on Green Left.
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals
- Watermelon Spring 2018