Since 1948, Britain has supported the principle of social solidarity through state pensions, healthcare, education and other public services provided by society as whole. This idea is now under threat.
Whoever wins the next general election will be targeting the welfare state and public services as a way of cutting public expenditure to pay for the mistakes of the bankers and speculators. Never was so much put at risk by so few.
What they seem to forget is that good public services are important to everyone at every stage of their life from the cradle to grave. That is why we are supporting the demonstration in London on 10 April to remind all politicians that a civilised, compassionate society needs a welfare state and decent public services that pool life's risks and provide support to all who need it, irrespective of their individual ability to pay.
Brendan Barber TUC, Lee Billingham Love Music Hate Racism, Christine Blower NUT, Brian Caton POA, Bob Crow RMT, Jeremy Dear NUJ, Gerry Doherty TSSA, Peter Fisher NHS Consultants' Association, Dot Gibson National Pensioners Convention, Sally Hunt UCU, Tony Kearns CWU, Chris Keates NASUWT, Paul Kenny GMB, Prof Harry Keen NHS Support Federation, Jonathan Ledger Napo, Hamish
Meldrum BMA, Lesley Mercer Chartered Society of Physiotherapists, Gerry Morrissey Bectu Keith Norman Aslef, Peter Pendle ACM/AMiE, Dave Prentis Unison, Alan Ritchie Ucatt, Wendy Savage Keep Our NHS Public, Mark Serwotka PCS, Eileen Short Defend Council Housing, Derek Simpson Unite, Vanessa Stanislas Disability Alliance, Christine Steel Carers Poverty Alliance, Gordon Taylor PFA, Tony Woodley Unite, Matt Wrack FBU
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...