London SOCIALIST RESISTANCE meeting:
As the crisis deepens, what's our alternative?
WEDNESDAY 22 SEPTEMBER, 7.30pm
Indian YMCA, Fitzroy Square, W1
Warren Street tube
Speakers: Ozlem Onaran (economist and socialist) and Sean Thompson (Green Left)
The "Coalition" government has completed its first Parliamentary session and shown its colours. What we have is a right-wing, small state, slash and burn, Tory Government, propped up by the cringing Lib Dems, with a cuts and privatisation agenda which goes well beyond anything Thatcher envisaged.
We are told we need to repay the debt run up by the banks. That wouldn’t be difficult. Cancelling Trident, scrapping nuclear weapons and slashing the defence budget would be a good start. Raising taxation on the rich and collecting the taxes they are currently avoiding would also raise very large sums.
The virtual absence of the trade unions is a huge difficulty. Most did nothing to oppose new Labour cuts and have done nothing yet about the Coalition cuts other than wring their hands. The TUC General Council even invited Cameron to address Congress in September, though he declined the invitation!
The issue now for the whole movement is building the fight back and maximizing resistance. Activity is beginning at local level to organise against the cuts. At a national level, the Coalition of Resistance is campaigning for a "wave of protest" to crack the ConDem Coalition. At a national level, the Coalition of Resistance is campaigning for a "wave of protest" to crack the ConDem Coalition. In October, we must demonstrate outside the Tory conference on the 3rd, and again on the 20th against the Comprehensive Spending Review.
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals