London Assembly Green Party Member
Press Office: 020 7983 4424, 07967 205 330 Darren:07887 737 276
9th November 2010
Mayor must call chair of Fire Authority to account
Darren Johnson has responded to comments by Brian Coleman, the chair ofthe London Fire and Emergency Authority. Mr Coleman has suggested that Fire Brigade officers should explore, as part of the budget process, whether the Brigade needs all 27 of the fire appliances removed from
stations during the current industrial action to be returned or whether there is an over-supply of appliances.
Darren Johnson said:
"It is highly provocative and badly timed comment, which raises the prospect of unacceptable cuts to the fire service in London. Most Londoners breathed a sigh of relief when the Fire Brigades Union responded to legitimate concerns over safety and called off their strike
on bonfire night. The chair of the Authority should be helping to sort out the trade union's grievances, not stirring things up in this way.
The London Mayor needs to step in and remove Brian Coleman from his role as chair, as he has become a barrier to the dispute being resolved."
Darren Johnson is available for comment
GREATER LONDON AUTHORITY
formal question for the 18th November LFEPA meeting.
'Industrial action on 1 November: investigation of incidents'
Will the Chairman request the Commissioner undertakes a formal investigation, including an independent element, of the following reported incidents during industrial action on 1 November:
a) firefighter hit by a car at Croydon Fire Station, and withholding of first aid equipment;
b) FBU London representative and firefighter hit by fire engines at Southwark Fire Station?
And will the Chairman ensure that the findings of such an investigation are published? '
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals