Thursday, 19 April 2012
Go Green this May!
I am calling today for Respect supporters in Birmingham to back Green Party candidates standing in the local elections on 3 May.
This May, Birmingham will finally call time on a Tory-Lib Dem council leadership that will be remembered for the jobs they have destroyed, and for the public services they have so badly undermined.
Labour will once again be in control, but I have little confidence that they have the vision or the will to stand up to the Tory-Lib Dem government. Birmingham needs better than the failed austerity of the Tories and Lib Dems, and we need better than the austerity-lite offering of Labour.
In these local elections, I believe that the Green Party is the best choice for those looking for a radical voice in Birmingham.
The Green Party has been consistent in its opposition to the breakup of the NHS, have championed the call to create new sustainable jobs with a living wage, and campaign to protect our valuable green spaces. The election of Green councillors would help to shake up the council chamber, and is just the sort of fresh voice that the city needs.
The Respect Party will be supporting the ‘Yes’ campaign in the referendum on an elected mayor for Birmingham. But, in the local elections this year, I hope our supporters will go Green!
Salma Yaqoob is the leader of the Respect Party.
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...