Thursday 9 May 2013

Caroline Lucas: "I plan to join striking City Clean workers and continue to stand up for workplace rights"

Update on Council pay
08 May 2013
Yesterday around 10% of Brighton and Hove council staff received a settlement offer as part of a process designed to ‘modernise’ pay and allowances.
Since the negotiations began, I have made my opposition to any cuts in take home pay very clear.
I am therefore disappointed that, whilst some will gain from this process, a number will face a reduction in the money they have to live off each week.
This is unacceptable. I know from the many constituents who have written to me about this issue that they agree.
So too does the Brighton and Hove Green Party, whose members voted at a meeting last night to  condemn the offer and also expressed dismay that responsibility for the pay negotiations was handed to council officers.
With the support of the local Green Party, I have pledged to campaign against the offer made to workers, in accordance with the local and national party's democratically agreed anti-cuts and anti- austerity policies.
I plan to join striking City Clean workers and continue to stand up for workplace rights – as I promised to do when I was elected and have consistently prioritised in Parliament.

No comments: