For the attention of Editors/Activists
In the late 1830s and 1840s the Chartists sought to unite a host of radical groups with their call for the democratic reform of the political system.
Their People's Charter demanded adult male suffrage, equal electoral districts, annual Parliaments, vote by ballot, abolition of the property qualification for MPs and also payment of MPs.
The idea was that a democratic electoral system would transform the composition of Parliament. Once workers were the majority at Westminster the Government would have to rule in their interests.
On , the WAKEFIELD SOCIALIST HISTORY GROUP are holding an event to look both at "THE CHARTISTS...AND THE DEMOCRATIC DEFICIT TODAY."
The speakers are:
Shaun Cohen (Shaun is an authority on radical West Yorkshire history and a member of the Leeds Ford Maguire Society)
Alan Stewart (Convenor of Wakefield Socialist History Group)
Looking at democratic struggles today will be two further speakers:
Paul Feldman (Paul is from "Assemblies for Democracy"; he is also the author of a book called "Unmasking the State -a rough guide to real democracy")
Mark Sutton (Yorkshire organiser for REPUBLIC who campaign for a democratic alternative to the monarchy).
There will be plenty of time for questions, discussion, debate.....
The event starts at and is being held at the Red Shed, Vicarage Street, Wakefield WF1. Admission is free and there is a free light buffet. There is also a bar. All are welcome.
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...