19 November 2016: United for education
We have joined up with our sister union the National Union of Students (NUS) for a mass demonstration in defence of free, accessible and quality further and higher education and to demand an end to privatisation and cuts in universities and colleges. Staff, students and supporters from across the education sector and trade union movement will march in London in what promises to be a huge show of opposition to government policy on post-school education.
Help us make the national demo on 19 November the biggest ever!
The schedule for the day is as follows:
- 12 noon: March assembles at Park Lane. If you are arriving via public transport please approach from the North end - nearest tube stations are Marble Arch and Bond Street. Coaches should drop off from West side of Park Lane)
- 1pm: March starts off from Park Lane. 2.4 mile route through central London to rally point at Millbank, Westminster.
- 2.45pm: Rally begins. Speakers include journalist Owen Jones, Malia Bouattia, president NUS; Sally Hunt, general secretary, UCU; Shakira Martin, vice president further education, NUS; Sorana Vieru, vice president higher education, NUS; Rob Goodfellow, president, UCU; George the Poet. Other speakers also tbc.
- 3.45pm: Rally ends, marchers disperse
- 4:30pm: Coaches pick up from Albert Embankment, Victoria Embankment or Tothill Street. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in advance to arrange which of these points your delegation should be collected from.