Tolpuddle in London - 25th April 2009
Help mark the 175th anniversary of the Grand Demonstration
In 1834 some 100,000 people joined the Grand Demonstration that marched from Copenhagen Fields to Parliament and on to Kennington Common to demand the release of the Tolpuddle Martyrs. Six Dorset farm workers had been sentenced to seven years' transportation into slavery in Australia for forming a trade union. The attack on early unions had to be challenged.
A 200,000 strong petition was carried shoulder high and many more poured in from all over the country. The demonstration was just the start and the government eventually backed down and gave the six men free pardons.
Join us to remember those who fought for our rights. An afternoon of music, key speakers, procession and banners. Activities for children and young people organised by the Woodcraft Folk, Kate Greenaway Nursery and local schools. All next to the Tolpuddle Martyrs' mural at Edward Square, near King's Cross.
Times are likely to vary slightly
Clocktower, Caledonian Park, Market Road - assemble from noon, entertainment and refreshments.
Plaque to be unveiled by Frances O'Grady TUC Deputy General Secretary, organised by Islington Trades Council.
March to Edward Square at junction of Caledonian Road and Copenhagen Street.
Councillor Stefan Kasprzyk the Mayor of Islington, opens the celebration
Megan Dobney SERTUC Regional Secretary
Martin Carthy, England's pre-eminent traditional folk musician
Alun Howkins, historian tbc
Graham Moore Tolpuddle Man Dorset singer/songwriter
Raised Voices choir
Leon Rosselson, radical singer/songwriter
Emily ThornberryMP for Islington South
Frances O'Grady TUC Deputy General Secretary
Billy Bragg Tolpuddle favourite needs no introduction
More speakers to be confirmed
Northern Celts Band
Come to Tolpuddle,
Nigel Costley, South West TUC Regional Secretary
For more see:
Supported by the South West TUC, Southern and Eastern Region TUC and London Borough of Islington
For more information contact
David Renton firstname.lastname@example.org
Megan Dobney, SERTUC, Congress House, Great Russell Street, London WC1B 3LS
email@example.com 020 7467 1220
Briefing document (400 words) issued 12 Mar 2009
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2018/9 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals
- Watermelon Spring 2018
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Autumn 2018 & IHRA Special Supplement