RALLY Friday 12th June
9.00 - 9.30 am
Outside Main SOAS Building
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
Joseph Stalin Bermudez, the SOAS UNISON Branch Chair was sacked by the School of Oriental and African Studies, in March 2009, following a deeply flawed and unfair disciplinary process.
Two weeks ago, SOAS UNISON trade union members undertook a very successful strike action in support of Stalin, actively supported by both SOAS academic staff and SOAS students.
SOAS UNISON is now calling a lobby of the SOAS Governing Body's meeting on June 12th to demand that they review and reverse the appalling decision to sack Stalin.
In sacking Stalin, the School dismissed the personal testimony of the only independent witness to the events on which the disciplinary investigation was based. This testimony bore out Stalin’s version of events. It is disgraceful that in SOAS, of all places, that this evidence provided by a black member of staff, can be dismissed as being “not credible”.
Stalin, an Ecuadorian migrant worker, has worked at the School for ten years with a previously unblemished record.
Stalin has been an outstanding UNISON Branch Chair consistently standing up for members’ rights. His work within the SOAS Living Wage Campaign was central to ensuring dignity at work for SOAS cleaning staff.
SOAS UNISON is calling on SOAS staff, students and others to continue to return that solidarity and join the lobby of SOAS Governing Body to call for Stalin’s reinstatement.
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals