Defending The Wefare State & Public Services Rally 10 April 2010
March and Rally Assemble 12 noon Temple Place Embankment
Rally 2pm Trafalgar Sq
Full details on website at
Since 1948, Britain has supported the idea that state pensions, health care, education and other public services are best provided by society as whole. But this idea is now under threat.
The state pension is totally inadequate, leaving at least 1 in 4 older people to live in poverty
7m households have a child living in poverty and existing benefits provide a very limited safety net
Unemployment now stands at over 2m and workfare offers no solution
10m adults are disabled and face huge barriers to escaping financial hardship
The NHS is slowly being privatised behind a smokescreen of choice and competition, and patients are suffering as a result
Our public services are now facing massive cuts and further privatisation
The welfare state and public services are an essential part of any civilised society - pooling the risk across the population and providing support and services to us all.
Why should you get involved?
Whoever wins the next general election will be looking at the welfare state and public services as a way of cutting public expenditure. This demonstration must therefore send a clear message to all the political parties that the majority of people do not want to see further cuts and privatisation.
On 10 April 2010 we will have a unique chance – just weeks before an expected general election – to make our voices heard. Staying at home and thinking it’s someone else’s job to speak out for the welfare state and public services won’t be enough. Make sure you are there!
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals