On 17 Dec 2010, at 17:24, Ken Montague wrote:Anyone object to my sending a message of support from BCaCC? Let me know asap if you do. You might also circulate this to your own groups - Ken
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 11:50:07 +0000
Subject: [Climate Alliance: 118] Ratcliffe Trial verdict
Hi all - the 20 people who were on trial for trying to shut down Ratcliffe coal power station were found guilty on Wednesday.
Their sentencing was due today, but it's been moved to January. The date hasn't been set yet but there are plans for a solidarity demo outside the court once it's fixed if anyone's interested. It's in Nottingham Crown Court.
I'm sure they'd appreciate further messages of support right now. You can contact them on email@example.com.. The blog from the trial is also really interesting for those thinking about communicating climate change and arguing for different forms of action: see firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also follow what happens at their sentencing on facebook and twitter: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ratcliffe-On-Trial/109572312438910 & http://twitter.com/ratcliffetrial
There'll be a separate trial of 6 people who hadn't decided whether to participate in the action at the time of arrest in the new year.
PS. The silver lining is that in the course of fighting the case they got a high court judge to rule that a climate change 'necessity defence' should be heard in court. See http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/cif-green/2010/dec/16/ratcliffe-trial.
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals