Coalition of Resistance Against Cuts & Privatisation | 27 | Sep 5th
EUROPE AGAINST AUSTERITY CONFERENCE
SATURDAY 1 OCTOBER, 10AM - 5PM
WHY YOU SHOULD BE AT THE CONFERENCE
Those who were hoping that the summer would bring some relief to the
crisis must be cruelly disappointed. Share values continue to fall and the
Eurozone bail-outs are hitting the rocks. In Britain, the political and
social crises roll on with the revelations about News International and
the riots in August. The outlook for the ruling class is bleak as they
have no solution, and the economies are teetering on the edge of a
recession. We can expect more appeals that “we are all in it together”
and that there is no alternative to a radical programme of austerity. As
the crisis is international, so must be the response of all those who
refuse to make the working class and society pay for this crisis.
That’s why the Europe Against Austerity conference in London on 1st
October is so important. It will be the first event since the start of the
crisis in 2008 where all those who want to oppose the attacks will meet.
The conference will not only issue a declaration against the austerity
programmes but plan a movement of resistance across Europe.
The Coalition of Resistance is hosting this conference jointly with the
other organisations and individuals sponsoring the event. These include
the European Left Party, Die Linke, Attac, CADTM, Union Syndicale
Solidaires, Ken Loach, Jeremy Corbyn MP, Caroline Lucas MP, Len McCluskey
Unite, and Bob Crow RMT. The full list can be seen here.
SATURDAY 1ST OCTOBER
1. Agenda: there will be plenaries and workshops on topics such as The
Crisis and the Debt, Ending the War, Students and Youth Fighting for a
Future, Women against Austerity, and Mobilising against Austerity. The
information on agenda will be updated on the website. The day will start
at 10am promptly and be concluded at 5pm by the adoption of a declaration.
2. Main speakers include: Pierre Laurent (president of the ELP), Marisa
Matias (Bloco MEP, Portugal), Jeremy Corbyn MP, Sevim Dagdelen (Die LInke
MP, Germany), Annick Coupe (Solidaires, France), Piero Bernocchi COBAS,
Italy, Elizabeth Gauthier (Transform), Costas Lapavitsas, Len McCluskey,
UNITE, Sinn Fein speaker and others.
a. the venue is the Camden Centre and the Argyle Street primary school,
directly opposite St Pancras station, London;
b. there will be simultaneous interpretation in English, German, French
and Castillian (in the main hall only) through radio-linked headsets;
c. food and drinks will be served all day in the cafeteria of the Camden
d. one of the rooms will be set aside for the showing of films all day;
e. there will be stalls from campaigns and other organisations in the main
WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE:
1. Continuing to seek sponsorships from organisations and individuals.
2. Leafleting every event with the publicity now available.
3. Feeding to the website news and letters of support for the conference.
4. Registering now for the event both as individuals and as delegates from
organisations. You can register online, but even better print off the form
and get the money or cheques from people.
5. Seeking donations from organisations and individuals to pay for the
costs not covered by the registration fees (our costs will total at least
6. Offering bed or floor space for those attending the conference from
outside of London and across Europe.
7. Volunteering to interpret on the day.
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...