1. International Womens Week Women of Palestine : Manchester March 10th,
a Celebration for International Women’s Day
Join Palestinian women speakers, participating in a tour of the North of England to celebrate International Women’s Day.
The tour is organised by Palestine Solidarity groups from Bradford, Halifax , Huddersfield, Manchester , Rochdale, Sheffield and York . For further details of the Manchester event and other Northern meetings, ring 01706 648104.
Date: Saturday March 10th. Venue: Saffron Restaurant, 107 Cheetham Hill Road , Manchester M8 8PY
Afternoon Workshops with Palestinian visitors for women only: Arrive at 1.00pm to register (free entry).
Choice of workshops, light refreshments, stalls of Palestinian produce, photographic exhibition and grand finale group singing with guest Reem Kelani.
Evening celebratory meal (same venue) open to everyone, 7.00pm (£10 or £5 concessions, payable on the door)
Come along for fabulous food, songs about Palestine by the Sheffield choir, Body of Sound and poetry in English and Arabic. Help us send a message of friendship and solidarity back with our visitors as they return home to Palestine
2. Manchester Palestine Solidarity Campaign
Presenting monthly discussion meetings and film:
Thursday 15th March 7pm Friends Meeting House Mount Street
Speaker: Sara Gowen from Sheffield Palestine Women’s Scholarship Fund
Supporting Women in the Gaza Strip to the right to Education
Everyone has a right to education
The right to Education is a fundamental human right. Israel's obstruction of education in the West Bank and Gaza Strip not only violates the human rights of individuals. It is an attack on the development of Palestinian society as a whole.
Supporting women into education
Women's education is under serious threat in Palestine. The current political situation, particularly in the isolated Gaza Strip, has created a new kind of poverty in Palestine. Unemployment has been growing to a point where families can no longer sustain themselves to provide the basic needs for survival. In these hard times, expenses for education have become a luxury most cannot afford and families have been concentrating on their sons, which puts girls at a major disadvantage when times are hard.
By helping Palestinian women into higher education, we can help their communities, in the poorest of the poor families. 11 per cent of families are headed by women because their husbands have died or are in prison. Without an education it is difficult for these women to support their families and their communities.
Most Palestinians feel that they have lost their land, but one guarantee for the future is an education. This is why the Sheffield Palestinian Women's Scholarship Fund is so important. Come to the meeting to find out more about the Education of Women in Palestine and how we can support Women to have a chance of University Education.
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals