- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
Wednesday, 4 December 2013
Green Left Statement On Brighton and the cuts: December 2013
Green Left members participated in a meeting organised by Brighton People's Assembly (in which many local Green Party members are active) last Sunday (30th Nov) which discussed next years council budget and alternatives to the current strategy of endless cuts
It was a well timed meeting, the draft budget proposals for 2014/15 having been published that weekend ( without the local party or even most of the Councillors having been consulted) These proposals include cuts of over £23 million, across a range of council services, and assume a further reduction in the council workforce and further outsourcing (privatisation) of provision.
Growing numbers of Green Party members in Brighton and Hove, including significant numbers of Green Councillors, are expressing the view that a third year of budget cuts cannot be tolerated and are proposing that Green Councillors should refuse to vote for a cuts budget.
Green Left supports Green Party members in Brighton and Hove who take this view, and believes that a refusal to support a cuts budget will help to build the credibility of the Green Party as a leading force in the anti austerity movement across England and Wales , a movement which needs to grow much stronger. Such a stand will also help in the re-election of Caroline Lucas, which all Green Party members are agreed is an important priority.
Drafted by Peter Allen pp Green Left Committee
Posted by DON'T dis US at 05:20