Subject: Urgent - Heathrow demo 19th Feb - beat the counter-demo !
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:08:55 +0000
Urgent - now is the time to fight on Heathrow !
Demonstrate against Heathrow Expansion,
Downing Street, from 5.30 pm this Thursday 19th February
This is a demonstration against the crass decision to expand Heathrow – 5.30 pm to 7.00 pm opposite Downing Street. Speakers to include John Mcdonnel MP, Susan Kramer MP, Jean Lambert MEP. Pre-demo photo-op 1.00 pm, see below,
>>>> But a counter-demonstration in favour of expanding Heathrow is happening at the same time in Parliament Square. See here –
We need maximum number of people to make sure their effort is dwarfed. Please make it if you can – its only an hour or so after work. No doubt there’s aviation money behind the counter-demo (it also looks to have links with the whole sceptic backlash network..) …we have to beat them with people-power !
Other things you can do to help …..
1) Banner-painting, prop-making session from 1.00 pm this Sunday 15th at LARC (62, Fieldgate Street, Whitechapel tube – 0207 377 9088 - or ring mobile 07903316331 on the day if lost).
2) Fliering at West London tubes Monday 16th, Tuesday 17th, Wednesday 18th evenings. We will be at Hounslow Central tube 5.30 to 6.30 Tuesday eve. Please jon us if you are able to flier at other tubes at other times (maybe even better) please let us know ( email@example.com 02078339311 ) so that we can let other people know you will be there and they can join you. Fliers can be picked up from our office above Houseman’s bookshop at 5, Caledonian road (ring buzzer by green door or ask in bookshop) a minute from Kings Cross station. Flier also downloadable from www.campaigncc.org
3) If you can make it lunchtime – 1.00 pm – for our photo op outside the Dept of Transport, Horseferry Road (St James Park or Westminster tube) that would be really helpful. This is for media for whom the demo is too late in the day.and is our chance to get our message across in advance.
The theme is Green Future versus the BROWN past. – please come dressed / equipped appropriately for either of these – on one side, colour Green - windmills – solar panels – placards saying ‘lowcarbon economy’ ‘Green jobs’ ‘renewable revolution’ etc…..and on the other side colour brown, airoplanes, smoking chimneys, coal, placards saying ‘business as usual’, ‘carbon-intensive growth as usual’ ‘climate suicide’ etc..etc…(note we have Gordon Brown masks – we need appropriate placards for Brown to be holding – props to go with them)
4) You can also bring the themes, as described above, to the demo itself. Or your own brilliant ideas and creativity. (We will be there from 4.30 pm if you want to help us get set up)
Finally - they will never build the 3rd runway but this decision shows that Brown is happy to continue in ‘carbon-intensive-growth-as-usual’ mode just when we should be sending out a strong signal that we are making climate change priority number one, in advance of the critical Copenhagen Climate Talks coming up in December …….. Another reason this decision has to be challenged ….to the maximum degree possible !
PLEASE PASS THIS NOTICE AROUND !!
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals
- Watermelon Spring 2018