Dear Green Party members,
As you know we have supported the campaign against the closure of 6 out of 12 Brent libraries. Following the High Court ruling in favour of Brent Council earlier this week they have immediately closed all six
libraries and boarded up five of them. There is a community vigil outside Kensal Rise Library in Bathurst Road which has so far prevented council workers boarding that library up. I reproduce below an appeal
from the campaigners for support. I hope that you will be able to join in even if if is for only half an hour.
Brent Green Party Communications Officer
Firstly thanks to everyone who has supported the vigil outside the library (especially all the brilliant kids). This support has sent out a very important message about how much we care about what happens to our library and community and its significance has gone beyond our own neighbourhood.
Lots of library campaigners throughout England have been heartened by our actions and we have received loads of messages of support.
Great stuff Kensal Green and Kensal Rise.
As you may know our legal team are in the process of lodging an application to appeal the decision handed down by Justice Ousley on Thursday. We should know the result of this application by next week (possibly Tuesday). We would like to maintain a presence outside the library until then, not only to prevent Brent boarding up the library but also because our presence is sending out a powerful message.
We really do care about our library and how much it means to this community. So, we need your support. For the next few days we need your help in maintaining a presence at the library. We need you there during the day for whatever time you can spare.
If you can be at the library from midnight to 5am that would be fantastic. We have people taking over at 5am.
Of course you are welcome to come at any time but midnight to dawn is when we really need help. I know this is a big, big ask but it is only for a few days.
If you do intend to come make sure you wrap up warm. IT IS COLD. We have a tent. There will be company. You could bring your car.
Kind souls have been supplying us with coffee and biscuits and chocolate.If you find that request irresistible see you at the library maybe?
Regards and thanks, Margaret Bailey
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals