Just as Bayer makes moves to merge with Monsanto, we’ve rocked Big Agro’s world. EU nations just refused to back a licence extension for weedkiller glyphosate -- meaning Monsanto’s signature product Roundup may be pulled from shelves this year.
This is the third time member states have rejected the EU Commission’s bid for a new licence for glyphosate.Governments are responding to our mass mobilisation of citizens fed up with the widespread use of a pesticide that the World Health Organization deems “probably carcinogenic.”
On, an appeals committee will meet to attempt a final compromise. But if it can’t reach a qualified majority, glyphosate’s EU licence will expire on . Which means that soon, a whole bunch of Roundup could be coming off the shelves across Europe.
Even a month ago people said we couldn't possibly make our voices heard over the noise from industry and scientists with chemical industry ties. But we did it, and it's even made us stronger than before! We’ve delivered tens of thousands of signatures to the Netherlands and Germany to make our voices heard. With both nations abstaining from recent votes and thanks to the massive efforts of environmentalists, activists, independent scientists and critical journalists, it looks like the tides are finally turning against Monsanto and glyphosate.
The EU has spoken. But the threat from Monsanto looms large. Politico’s Giulia Paravicini warns that "the Commission’s fear is a multi-million euro lawsuit from industry”. Can you donate $5 to help us continue bringing the fight to Monsanto in the EU?
Thanks for all that you do,
Nabil and the team at SumOfUs
Recall of Monsanto’s Roundup likely as EU refuses limited use of glyphosate, The Guardian, 6 June 2016.
How German politics pushed Roundup into the weeds, Politico, 30 mai 2016.
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals
Saturday, 11 June 2016
EU nations just refused to back a licence extension for weedkiller glyphosate -
Posted by DON'T dis US at 02:19