FYI (from Andy Hewett)
A reminder that the repression of Trades Unions and workers' rights is not only a past time favoured in the UK and that our struggle is indeed an international one.
----- Forwarded Message ----From: email@example.com
Sent: Tuesday, 5 August, 2008 9:52:31 PM
Subject: August - a good month for crushing a labour movementAugust is a time when many of you (particularly those living in thenorthern hemisphere) are on vacation. Thousands of you won't even seethis message until you come back to work.If I were the leader of a country intent on crushing an independent trade union movement, this would be a good time to do so. The out cry around the world will be limited. After all, it's August.
About ten days ago, the South Korean government issued arrest warrants for the leaders of the country's trade union movement. Among those named were the President, Vice President and General Secretaryof the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions (KCTU), as well as leaders of affiliated unions. The KCTU Vice President was arrested by police and she's now being held at the Youngdeungpo Police Station.The others are still at large. Police have encircled the unionheadquarters in Seoul.
The "crime" these trade union leaders are accused of committing is this:
in early July, they called for a general strike. The South Korean government, in defiance of universally recognized human rights standards (including ILO conventions) has decided that this strike was illegal.The KCTU has asked us all to take a moment and send off a strong message of protest to the South Korean government. LabourStart has launched a major new online campaign to do precisely that.
Please go here now to send off your message:http://www.labourstart.org/kctu
If you are on Facebook, sign also up the new Cause we've created,here:http://apps.facebook.com/causes/107071
Time is of the essence and we need to mobilize thousands of our fellow trade unionists very quickly. I know that I can count on all of you.
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals