*** NEWS RELEASE ***
From the office of Jean Lambert, Green MEP for London
19th October 2011
Green MEP for London, Jean Lambert, has issued the following statement on the Occupy London Stock Exchange protest currently taking place in the City of London:
“The vast majority of people demonstrating over the last few days want to take part in a peaceful protest to voice their concerns about corporate greed and growing inequality, both at home and around the world. I wholeheartedly support their calls for an end to global tax injustice, independent regulation of the banking industry and concrete action to repair and protect crucial public services. Indeed, these are principles that many would support.
“With unemployment now at its highest level for almost twenty years and the financial system in crisis, it is no wonder that so many people feel betrayed and let down by the governments and the financial sector. The system has, for far too long, been unaccountable and irresponsible and now we are all paying a heavy price. I hope that the UK Government listens to the messages of discontent being aired and realise that the public demand positive change.
“Over the coming days, it is crucial that those participating in the Occupy London demonstration are able to exercise their right to peaceful protest, unhindered by inappropriate policing. I urge police and authorities to show restraint and maintain a low profile presence in the absence of any significant disorder.”
Notes to Editors
Jean Lambert is one of eight MEPs representing London and one of two UK Green representatives in the European Parliament. Jean was first elected Green Party Member of the European Parliament for London in the 1999 European elections and was re-elected in 2004 and 2009.
For an interview with Jean or for further information please contact: Anna Rutter, Media & PR Officer to Jean Lambert MEP: 020 7164 2152 / 07917 881648 / email@example.com
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals