Not again! There are worrying rumours of a behind-the-scenes effort to revive plans to sell off England’s woodlands. We may have less than a week to stop them and keep our forests safe for future generations.
Next week, the government's forest panel will publish a new
report on the future of our woodlands.  Rumours are circulating that some
panel members want to clear the way for a fresh sell-off. We’ve got a
few days to persuade the rest of them to block this new threat to our beautiful
Please add your name to the urgent petition
now, and then forward this email to your family and friends.
We’ll do an emergency delivery to each of the panel members before next
a bit depressing that anyone still thinks selling off England's woodlands is a
good idea! But it's not all that surprising - the government forest panel
includes vested interests from the private timber industry.  A huge
people powered petition could help sway undecided panel members and make sure
these vested interests don't win out.
Our woodlands are at their
best at this time of year. Animals and plants are flourishing. A new generation
of children is learning to ride bikes and climb trees. For those of us that live
in cities and towns, woodlands give us a chance to slow down and enjoy nature.
And for tens of thousands of people, jobs in forests pay their wages.  That's
why last year, half a million of us stood together to stop them being
sold off. 
The next few days are crucial to protect these
beautiful wild places - please sign the emergency petition now:
for being involved,
Hannah, Marie, Cian, David, Becky, James, David T,
Belinda and the 38 Degrees team
PS: The government has already stated
publicly that up to 40,000 hectares of woodland could be put up for sale again
within weeks of this report being published. We can't let this start again!
Please sign the petition now: https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/keep-our-woods-safe
DEFRA: Independent Panel on Forestry http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/forestry/
Independent Panel on Forestry Panel members’ biographies http://www.defra.gov.uk/forestrypanel/about/members/
Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology postnote: UK Trees and Forests http://www.parliament.uk/documents/post/postpn275.pdf
The Independent: Forest farce: Cameron to axe sell-off policy http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/forest-farce-cameron-to-axe-selloff-policy-2217131.html
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals