Date: Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Subject: Stop the Lambeth College Brixton Sell-Off!Dear friends and contacts
The centre where I work at college is being sold off to private developers! And there are plans to sell off more of the college later next year too. The Brixton centre where I work puts on courses for students with learning diffculties and disabilities, for young people who have not engaged with school education and for people who don't have English as their first language.
These are exactly the type of students that Further Education is meant for. People who need a second chance, who are disabled, unemployed or on very low-paid jobs for whom education is a way out of a difficult situation.
I think it's dangerous and irresponsible to reduce Further Education at a time when 1 million young people are unemployed and over 60% of young black men are unemployed. This is more true in south London boroughs such as Lambeth where these figures are even higher.
Of course a petition isn't going to change things on its own but when we go into meetings with management over the coming weeks and we know, and they know, that we have 1000 people backing us, publicly, then they are much more likely to take notice of what we say to them.Lee Jasper and comedian Jeremy Hardy have signed!
Please support our campaign and sign the petition and also send the email fromchange.org to all your contacts. Anyone who supports the campaign can sign the petition, friends, family, students, etc;
petitions/lambeth-college- management-and-board-of- governors-we-the-undersigned- oppose-the-sale-of-the- brixton-centre-lambeth- college-to-property-developers
And don’t forget to like the Facebook page to keep updated on campaign events and the upcoming lobbies
Many thanks for your support, together we can win!
Acknowledgements To: mandy brown /martin francis/doug rouxel
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
Monday, 25 November 2013
Stop the Lambeth College Brixton Sell-Off!
Posted by DON'T dis US at 08:49