In a shock announcement in the run up to Christmas the National Gallery has told 400 of its 600 staff they are to be taken over by a private company. The Gallery want to push ahead with these plans even though a new Director is to be appointed early in 2015.
Appeal to Defend the National Gallery
We are asking for your support to stop these plans. Already over 35500 of you have signed the 38 Degrees petition against the plans.
There is widespread concern that looking after the nation’s collection of paintings should be carried out by loyal and experienced staff rather than private security firms such as G4S who are more interested in profits than in protecting and promoting art.
On strike for 3 days over Christmas
National Gallery staff believe they have no choice but to ask the public for support to take action to stop these plans. As part of their national campaign the PCS trade union will strike for 3 days over the busy holiday period at the National Gallery with further action planned in the New Year.
We need your support to win!
Those prepared to lose money to go on strike over Xmas will be fighting to defend the Gallery for all of us! They are some of the lowest paid workers in London and are appealing for any financial help you can give.
If we all gave just £5 we would make sure the campaign can win.
We plan an e-campaign in the New Year to back the campaign. We are also organising a meeting in the House of Commons in support of Early Day Motion 300 and asking MPs to back the call for a public enquiry into the running of the National Gallery.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Join the strikers picket lines at the Gallery over the holidays : Saturday 27 Dec, Monday 29 Dec and Saturday 03 Jan (Pickets 9-11am)
Make a donation to National Gallery PCS Campaign Fund - If we all donate just a few pounds we can make sure the campaign has the money in needs to win. Click to donate here
Share the 38 Degrees Petition - No Privatisation at National Gallery petition
Keep Up-to-Date with the Campaign through our Facebook page
Thanks for your support and Happy Christmas
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2018/9 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals
- Watermelon Spring 2018
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Autumn 2018 & IHRA Special Supplement