Junior doctors' strike: The Green Party stands in solidarity with NHS staffGreen Party press releaseFor immediate release –Junior doctors' strike: The Green Party stands in solidarity with NHS staff* Natalie Bennett: 'The government must change the way it treats our NHS’* Larry Sanders: 'Junior doctors are heroes in the fight for a high quality NHS'Speaking ahead of the planned junior doctors' strike, Natalie Bennett, Leader of the Green Party of England and Wales, said:“It is sad that junior doctors have been forced to this point by the obstinate approach of the health secretary, whose flat-out refusal to drop his insistence on imposing a new contract has scuppered any possibility of meaningful talks with the British Medical Association.“Industrial action is a last resort and I know from having spent time on the picket lines over recent months that junior doctors are taking this unprecedented action with a heavy heart.“The government must change the way it treats our NHS and reopen negotiations with the junior doctors. A caring health secretary would negotiate with the junior doctors to produce an acceptable contract.“Until then, I, and fellow Green Party members and supporters will continue to stand in solidarity with NHS staff as we fight for what’s right.”Larry Sanders (1), the Green Party's Health and Social Care Spokesperson and the brother of US presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders, added:“The Green Party supports the junior doctors’ strike because the new contract, if imposed, would have disastrous effects on patients and the NHS.“We are pleased that medical risks will be minimised by the back-up of senior doctors.“The junior doctors are heroes in the fight for a high quality NHS. They do not want to strike; their pride is in their work.“Jeremy Hunt is attempting to force a contract on them which puts patients at risk and reduces their pay. If he succeeds he will drive devoted doctors from the NHS. We already have too few doctors, nurses and hospital beds, with £22 billion of further cuts in the pipe line. A victory for Hunt would be an important step towards a profit-based NHS.”endsNotes
- HOW TO JOIN GREEN LEFT
- Code of conduct for Green Left email lists
- green left archive VIDEOS & POLICY STATEMENTS
- Green Left Committee 2017/8 and CONSTITUTION
- European eco-socialist Action Network meeting: London 28 and 29 June 2014:
- WATERMELON SEPTEMBER 2014
- WATERMELON SPRING 2015
- WATERMELON Autumn 2015
- WATERMELON Spring 2016
- THE HEADCORN DECLARATION: Founding statement of Gr...
- Marxism and Ecology
- WATERMELON online Conference Newsletter of Green L...
- Yemen - the Forgotten War
- Brexit and Ecosocialist Alliances 1/4/2017
- WATERMELON Conference Newsletter of Green Left Spr...
- WATERMELON ONLINE Autumn 2017
- "How can a low carbon economy create new employmen...
- Parties to the Left of Labour and Corbynism by J.H...
- Elinor Ostrom’s Rules for Radicals
- Watermelon Spring 2018
Tuesday, 26 April 2016
Junior doctors' strike: The Green Party stands in solidarity with NHS staff
Posted by DON'T dis US at 06:30